Food Insecurity

Getting Food To Where It's Needed

$2.1M
Funded
Back to projects

Project Details

No one should go hungry in Connecticut. Food-insecure individuals are at risk now, more than ever. That's why we're working with CT Food Bank and Foodshare to help meet the significant increase in demand for their support services amid the loss of drivers, volunteers, and food pantry partners.

Connecticut Food Bank's COVID-19 Efforts

Connecticut Food Bank provides food to hungry adults and children in Fairfield, Litchfield, Middlesex, New Haven, New London, and Windham counties. Nearly 270,000 people in our service area are food insecure; more than 79,000 children struggle with hunger.

Connecticut Food Bank mobile pantry

Social and Equity Impact of 4-CT Grant:

Foodshare's COVID-19 Efforts

As the regional Feeding America food bank serving Hartford and Tolland counties, Foodshare is the largest anti-hunger organization in the Greater Hartford area. We connect surplus food to our neighbors who struggle with hunger through a network of 280 food pantries, meal programs, and Mobile Foodshare sites.

Foodshare's mobile pantry

Foodshare collects and distributes enough food to make more than 11 million meals each year. One-third of the food we distribute is fresh produce.

Social and Equity Impact of 4-CT Grant:

○      Pounds of Food Distributed: 500,000 pounds distributed by 4-CT funds.

○      # of Volunteers: When 4-CT grant was received, Foodshare was averaging 140 volunteers per week across their operation, against a pre-COVID level of 235. The week of June 25th, 256 people volunteered at Foodshare, but this bounce back does not enable the organization to meet the demands of increased distribution so they are still paying for part-time labor.

○      % of Pantries Active: When grant commenced on May 11th, 82% of Foodshare’s partner pantries were open; on June 26th, 88% were open with the remaining 12% being minor pantries (staffed entirely by volunteers, open only monthly/biweekly, etc).

As of June 25th, 2020, Foodshare’s Institute for Hunger Research & Solutions conducted a brief survey of 513 unduplicated customers receiving food at the new food distributions during the pandemic. This survey showed:

○      Black households comprised 38% of those served

○      Hispanic/Latino households comprised 28% of those served

○      70% of households said one or more adult lost their job or had their hours cut due to the pandemic

○      69% of households said they had to choose between paying for food and paying other bills within the last month

Your contributions to 4-CT help empower our partners in their efforts to feed those most venerable.

Our Partners: